Now we have got over the euphoria of winning a £10,000 Heritage Lottery grant it is time to start the hard work.
We need volunteers who are interested in contributing to a pioneering and creative project. You don't have to have any particular experience but just have a love of finding out and capturing interesting information on women. Most volunteers will work on the Elizabeth Treffry Collection in Penzance, but we are also looking for others to use collections and resources from elsewhere.
The kind of tasks we need help with are:
- researching the life stories of women who have lived, worked or come from Cornwall or Scilly
- photographing and scanning historical documents and artefacts
- creating art, music, poems or literature inspired by Cornish and Scillonian women
- work on our social media channels and blog (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
- writing short Wikipedia-style biographies
- entering information into the Cornish Women's Index (a free online database of words and images)
- participating in informal and fun workshops scheduled for venues across Cornwall in 2013.
What you will get in return
- free training
- a chance to undertake brand new historical research
- your name next to contributions on the Cornish Women's Index and website
- VIP guest at the History 51 party in November 2013.
Find out more about the women in your area or your family
Are you doing local or family history research? History 51 could be the project for you. We are looking for local and family historians to contribute new information on historical women they know about.
We would love to hear from you and help you collect and record information about these women.
Please share and display the History 51 poster!
If you think your group or organisation would be interested in History 51, please share and display our poster with them. Clicking on the poster will download a PDF version you can print out.