The History 51 Roadshow, organised by the Hypatia Trust, is going to Helston Folk Museum on Saturday 12 October. Download the Rug Tales poster and share it with your friends (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Rug Tales will be a FREE, practical, fun-filled workshop led by Diane Cox of the Mesdames Myrtles rug hooking group (and well-known We Are Not Doormats). Mesdames Myrtles have been creating seven rugs inspired by the History 51 project representing different historical Cornish women. This workshop, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, will demonstrate how biographies of women in Cornwall needn’t just be written but they can also be made. Mesdames Myrtles have been creating stories of seven women as part of History 51.
So if you want to have a go at rug hooking and find out more about it, this is the event for you.
Rug hooking is an ancient art, largely passed down through the generations by women. It is a wonderful way to make beautiful new things from old remnants and clothes, and to have fun choosing the colours you love. You don't have to be arty, already skilled or able to draw!
Date: Saturday 12 October 2013
Venue: Helston Folk Museum (Old Butter Market, Market Place, Helston, TR13 8TH. Tel: 01326 564027)
Booking: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (if leaving a message please leave your name, a return phone number or email address) on 01736 366597).
You don't have to be arty, already skilled or able to draw!
What's going on?
- Learn the ancient technique of rug hooking -- a skill for life
- Hear Diane Cox talk about this important part of women's heritage
- All materials provided and a chance to buy your own beautifully crafted rug hook at the end so you can carry on at home (£15 on the day)
- Bring your own sharp scissors if you have a pair
- Bring any old cloth fabrics whose colours you love, e.g. old T-shirts
- Be inspired by the stunning collections of Helston Museum
- Tea, coffee and refreshments provided
- Bring your own lunch or break and have lunch in the ancient Cornish town of Helston
Places limited, book now!
Email: email@example.com or telephone (if leaving a message please leave your name, a return phone number or email address) on 01736 366597).